Relationship trouble?

I have been a spectator into many relationships in my short life. The one question I seem to not be able to answer is, why do people put themselves in relationships they hate and why do they stay?

I am sure you will have either been in the scenarios I am about to lay out, or know of someone in this scenarios. I wanted to wrap my brain around it with a couple of questions to have it make a little more sense, but still not give conclusive answers as to what may be the real reason. I am not even sure these people know the answer to that question themselves.

#1 The relationship is very conservative, the man cheated a few times. The wife walks with the bible under her arm and believes in conspiracy theories.

#2 The relationship was average, the perfect relationship most people with a little bit of money would settle into. No one was happy, there was no communication but the picture of a happy relationship was painted.

#3 This relationship was full of love, but outside factors weighed in a lot making the relationship strenious.

#4 I’ve seen a whole lot of relationships in people of my age, where they got married young and in about 5 years all of them were divorced with children.

#5 Relationships built out of guilt and the women didn’t want to go out of the clearly toxic relationship because she felt guilty of how she got into the relationship in the first place.

All of the scenarios are true and as you can see all of them have underlying questions that I can’t help to wonder the answers to.

The topics that pop up though are co-dependency, lack of support, toxic communication, controlling behaviours, resentment, dishonesty and lastly disrespect. These are all toxic relationship behaviours and as you read this, you will be able to point it out immediatly, however when you were in the relationship you didn’t think it a problem or just let it slide.

This was definetely not healthy for you or the relationship and I can’t help but think that we sometimes create more stress and unhapiness for ourselves because we think what we are doing is the right thing or easier then to walk out.

I’ve also seen in most of these situations that the biggest issue was the time invested into the relationships. Whether it was 28 years, 3 years or 7 years, it all had an effect on whether or not these people needed to make the relationship work.

All these relationships ended because no one was happy, the love in the relationship was questionable and it took way too long to realise the issues. I feel the time should never have been an issue. Col. H. Sanders said, it’s never to late to start, he started at the age of 65. Time should never keep you from ending something that’s not working either, because it’s not okey to stay in uhappy relationships just because you’ve been together for so long.

Comments